I write short stories in several genres, including crime, romance, fantasy, dark urban fantasy/horror and less often on non-genre themes.
Newsworthy, my first published short story, was written in a gumshoe-detective style about a man whose job it was to create the news. Literally. It was published in Pelt #8 in September 2002.
My non-genre story about scars and what they mean, Scar Tissue was published in Mildred #49 in 2014.
NEW! Virgin Soil
My story in And Then…: The Great Big Book of Awesome Adventure Tales Vol 1 teams a young man with magical powers with a shapeshifter, a man-turned-rat-or-vice-versa.
Some people might think they’re black magicians, and possibly they are, but someone has to do the dirty work, even on the side of the good guys. It’s set in 1851 during Melbourne’s gold rush years and involves virgin sacrifice – but maybe not the type you’re thinking of.
- And Then…: The Great Big Book of Awesome Adventure Tales Volume 1 (Clan Destine Press)
- And Then…: The Great Big Book of Awesome Adventure Tales, Vol I (Amazon.com)
- And Then…: The Great Big Book of Awesome Adventure Tales Volume 1 (Amazon UK)
NEW! Nectar & Love Song to a Bee
Hot on the heels of the MX Publishing anthology of Holmes Xmas stories (in the best-friends tradition of Victorian tales) comes another Holmesian anthology, but this one full of love, romance and sex – A Murmuring of Bees.
The stories in this anthology explore John Watson and Sherlock Holmes as lovers as well as sleuths. The stories are set in dozens of times and places, from Victorian settings, riffing on canon, to modern interpretations. I have both a short story and a poem in the book. Other writers include Kerry Greenwood (the Phryne Fisher series) and Atlin Merrick (The Night They Met).
The proceeds of this book go to the It Gets Better Project.
- A Murmuring of Bees (Improbable Press – paperback)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Amazon US paperback)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Amazon UK paperback)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Barnes & Noble paperback)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Amazon US)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Amazon UK)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Nook Book)
- A Murmuring of Bees (Kobo)
NEW! The Christmas Card Mystery
This story is included in The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories Part V: Christmas Adventures, a new anthology of traditional canon-era stories by MX Publishing which is raising funds for the Stepping Stones school for children with learning difficulties that operates out of Arthur Conan Doyle’s former home, Undershaw.
Now available at:
- The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories Part V (Amazon Kindle)
- The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories – Part V: Christmas Adventures (Amazon US Paperback)
- The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories – Part V: Christmas Adventures (Amazon US Hardcover)
- The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories – Part V: Christmas Adventures (BookDepository paperback)
- The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories – Part V: Christmas Adventures (BookDepository hardback)
Read an extract of The Christmas Card Mystery on this blog post.
NEW! Know Your Own Happiness
Manifold Press’s anthology of queered Jane Austen short stories will be released on 1 November 2016. A Certain Persuasion contains “thirteen stories from eleven authors, exploring the world of Jane Austen and celebrating her influence on ours.”
Some use Austen’s characters in their original setting; some are modern takes; some are original characters in the Regency period. Mine story is a little different again:
Four years ago, Cooper West allowed his brother to persuade him that it was easier to pretend to be straight than admit to being bi. It was a stupid decision that cost him the love of his life, Archer Flynn. Now out, recently dumped and still harbouring regret for his lost love, Fate and Cooper’s cousin Kate are about to intervene, via a book club meeting where the book under discussion is … Persuasion.
A Certain Persuasion (430 pages) is available for pre-order, and will be available as a paperback as well as an ebook from 1 November.
- A Certain Persuasion (Amazon.com)
- A Certain Persuasion (Amazon UK)
- A Certain Persuasion (Smashwords)
- A Certain Persuasion (Kobo)
- A Certain Persuasion (Nook)
In the third Secret Agents, Secret Lives sexy spy adventure, a mission to extradite Thomas Reilly, a dangerous criminal, ends in treachery and a crash landing in the Canadian wilderness for Agent Martine Dubois. Grizzly bears are the least of Martine’s problems as she and Reilly hunt each other through British Columbia’s Great Bear Forest.
Whatever the outcome, Martine is determined to survive and return to Phillip Marsden: top spy, the Grey Ghost, her boss who is also her lover.
- Secret Agents, Secret Lives 3: Wilderness (Amazon Kindle)
- Secret Agents, Secret Lives: Wilderness (Clan Destine Press)
- Secret Agents, Secret Lives 3: Wilderness (Nook Book)
- Secret Agents, Secret Lives 3: Wilderness (Kobo)
- Read about my fantasy short stories.
- See more of my short romance stories.
- And my Sherlock Holmes/crime short stories.
I also have three current series of erotic romance short stories.